Home » Procedures » Amniocentesis
Amniocentesis is a prenatal test that helps examine any chromosomal anomalies present in the fetus. Aminocentesis, also called Amino Fluid Test (AFT), is done to detect birth defects, genetic problems, fetal infections and lung development.
Amniocentesis or Amniotic Fluid Test is conducted to examine the chromosomal anomalies in the fetus.
This is a prenatal test in which a sample of amniotic fluid which surrounds the fetus in the mother’s womb is collected for testing. The fluid which has a water-like substance containing fetal tissue helps the doctor to know about the fetus development and the possible health or chromosomal abnormality, such as Down syndrome that the fetus may develop.
If any abnormality is detected, it can be treated while the baby remains in the womb.
Amniocentesis is performed at different stages of the pregnancy and for different reasons.
You may consider this test if:
In addition to these, other reasons for conducting this test are:
• There is no specific preparation that needs to be done before the test; however you need to drink as much water you can because a full bladder is required for the ultrasound test.
• Moreover, do not take aspirin or such medicines that contain aspirin almost a week before the test and heparin 1 day before the procedure.
Avoid performing any hard labour, air travel or intercourse for 2-3 days.
Besides this, contact the doctor in case:
• There is intense vaginal bleeding
• There is a persistent flow of liquid from your vagina
• Abnormal fetal activity or very less fetal movement
• Risk of miscarriage
• Uterine infection
• Needle injuries
• If you’ve an infection such as hepatitis C, etc. it may get transferred to your baby
The test usually costs between Rs. 20,000-30,000.
India Health Help is a holistic medical tourism platform that offers to patients from around the world a chance to access some of best medical services in India. With access to the best hospitals, diagnostic centres, multi-speciality facilities and super-specialist medical expertise, we channel the right patient to the right medical solution for quick, effective and affordable recovery.